Welcome to the new home of the Cafe. The Cafe has been serving retro goodness since 1999. If you were a previous member of the Atomic Magazine or the Port Halcyon Cafe Forums please click on "Forgot your password?" which is located in the left column to get a new password. Your old user name has been reserved for you. We look forward to talking with you!

TMBC
useravatar
User Info

Upcoming Update of the Cafe

Friends-
We've been working long and hard to bring you a new Cafe, and the day is upon us.  Sometime in the next couple days the Cafe will be temporarily unavailable so that we may migrate to new software.

The new software will alleviate the problems we've all experienced loggin in, or out, or staying logged in.  It will integrate with the look of the rest of our site.  It will have a bunch of new features, several of which I'm not entirely sure how they work, but we'll all learn together.

There will also be another twist.

Advertisements.

Part of the time we've spent evaluating the new software was used to see if we could present advertisements to you that might be interesting or pertinent.  And in our tests of the ad software, it seems to work pretty well.  For instance, the thread about the "Charleston" brought up a bunch of ads about swing dance instruction.

The ads will not interfere with the thread of conversation.  They will only appear in the left margin of the page.  All we ask is that if you see something interesting to you, click on it.  That will help the ad software identify what ads are of interest to our audience, and it will put a couple pennies in our pocket.

If you have any questions about the migration, the ad software, or anything, please feel free to ask.  You can reach me at tmbc@porthalcyon.com or in the new Cafe.

See you on the other side!                   

Administrator has disabled public posting
TMBC
useravatar
User Info

Re: Upcoming Update of the Cafe

I just got a questions about existing posts, post counts, and user profiles.  Everything will migrate to the new Cafe.  There may be some small hiccups with posted images, but I think we'll be able to get that squared away right quick.

We'll be sure to post any and all relevant tips and information on the new Cafe.  Just stay tuned, and get ready for a great new Cafe!                   

retroruby66
useravatar
User Info

will it be just as easy to use/ read as this is? I like how easy it is here....over on lotta living, or Tiki Central I just feel it is not as easy or fun to use....just curious...guess will have to see....looking forward to it.                   

TMBC
useravatar
User Info

We've made every effort to make it as easy, or in some places easier.  But if you ever have any questions, I'm here to help.                   

retroruby66
useravatar
User Info

cool! keep up the great work! big_smile                   

CharlieH.
useravatar
User Info

Looks good chief! I especially like this avatar thing, and it looks like once it's completely fixed and trimmed, it'll be a doozy, although I think I'm gonna miss the old yellow boards... ah well!

pink_satin_heels
useravatar
User Info

I don't like the new look...It's very bland...

Why did it have to change?

retroruby66
useravatar
User Info

I am finding it a bit hard, went to log in and already had an error concerning my e-mail addy...but I guess there will be bugs with anything new. I will also miss the old boards I think, just when I was figuring it out....sample question also would be do we attach pictures same way as we always have?  :unsure:  but do like the avatar thing too...will have to find one I see we still have our signature, so thats neat....but had to go in and make sure that i still get notified of when a thread I have been watching is added to...but hey figured it out big_smile

hmmmm only other confusing thing is the reading of posts below when we respond, as it does not say who said what...I will have to take notes hehehe....but thats nothing new for me LOL

retroruby66
useravatar
User Info

charlie...how did you get you get your picture with your signature...mine is not showing up when I post.....any hints?

TMBC
useravatar
User Info

Bugs, bugs, bugs...

For some reason I can't quote each post (I swear this worked when we were testing) so I'll try to answer in order.

Charlie-
Glad to see you got the avatar working.  Might need you to show me how to do it!  And I can't believe anyone will miss the yellow, but to each his own.

pink-
The change in appearance was made to integrate the Cafe into the look of the rest of our site.  Steps were taken to improve readability and adhere to standards in identifying links (bold red).  There were also other reasons for the change, as noted above.  We'll do what we can to keep it interesting, I promise.

ruby-
Sorry for the snafu with the e-mail.  Everything looks OK to me, but let me know if anything isn't behaving right.

Please continue to let me know if anything is wrong, hard to understand, or just plain yucky.  I'll do my best to oblige.

TMBC

retrokitten
useravatar
User Info

Just thought I'd let you know a couple of things I've noticed.  I'm getting the same email error message.  I haven't tried to do anything about it yet.  We'll see if I still get notifications.  Second, the PM section doesn't work with the browser I usually use, Netscape for Mac, but is fine with Safari.

I think it looks great though.  I'm sure I'll find where everything is now eventually! big_smile

TMBC
useravatar
User Info

Thanks again for the feedback.

Unfortunately, we don't have a MAC to test on, so I'm not sure if or when we'll be able to get this thing Netscape-compliant.  But glad to hear it works with Safari.

I plan to keep working on this thing until we get most of the bugs ironed out, so keep the feedback coming!

SappySwami
useravatar
User Info

Whoa! Surprising change, but I like it a lot. I had a fond spot for the yellow layout as well, but I like this one more. Seems cleaner.

Just a note, FireFox has some problems. Reading topics works fine, but to use the control panel I have to go into IE. Not much of a problem though, just thought I'd let you know.

While there might be some bugs to work through still (anyone get that one where the forum is way down at the bottom sometimes?) I think it's coming along very nicely! smile

TMBC
useravatar
User Info

SappySwami,Mar 21 2005, 12:20 AM wrote:

While there might be some bugs to work through still (anyone get that one where the forum is way down at the bottom sometimes?) I think it's coming along very nicely! smile

[snapback]67026[/snapback]

Thanks, Keith.  That formatting error happens when something in the post is too wide for our frame, usually an image or a URL.  If you can tell me where you see that, I'll edit the posts.

In general, I'll probably spend the rest of the year slowly going through and fixing all of our historical posts to get them to fit and to get the old images to show up.  Oh well, everyone needs a hobby.

I'll try to get it working for FireFox once I've got all the IE bugs worked out.  About 90% of our traffic come in on IE, so I'm trying to get that done first.

Keep it coming, folks!

retrokitten
useravatar
User Info

TMBC, I went in to try to see if I could change the email so that I wouldn't get the error message, but when I try to change it I get a message saying the password I entered is incorrect.  However, it worked just fine to log in with. Trixie tells me she gets an error message when she trys to send me a PM.  I cleaned out my inbox already, so I know it's not that.

TMBC
useravatar
User Info

retrokitten,Mar 21 2005, 12:27 AM wrote:

TMBC, I went in to try to see if I could change the email so that I wouldn't get the error message, but when I try to change it I get a message saying the password I entered is incorrect.  However, it worked just fine to log in with. Trixie tells me she gets an error message when she trys to send me a PM.  I cleaned out my inbox already, so I know it's not that.

[snapback]67028[/snapback]

Don't change your e-mail yet, let's see if we can fix the problem first.  I cleared out that database, and I'm going to shut off that feature, so hopefully nobody else will get that error.

Also, I just sent you a PM.  Maybe Trixie's PMs were full, so she wasn't able to send outbound messages?  Let me know if you got my PM.

retrokitten
useravatar
User Info

yes, I got it.  Did you get the PM I sent back?

TMBC
useravatar
User Info

retrokitten,Mar 21 2005, 12:44 AM wrote:

yes, I got it.  Did you get the PM I sent back?

[snapback]67030[/snapback]

I did.  So it must be that Trixie's mailbox is full.  Hopefully I can get that sorted out quickly, I knwo that there are probably a lot of people with full mailboxes out there.

Are you getting notified by e-mail when you subscribe to a topic?  Let me know if that's working.  (I would try it myself, but I never got the e-mail warning.)

retrokitten
useravatar
User Info

I didn't have email notification checked, but I did get an email when your PM came.  I'll check it now and see if I get them.

TMBC
useravatar
User Info

retrokitten,Mar 21 2005, 12:50 AM wrote:

I didn't have email notification checked, but I did get an email when your PM came.  I'll check it now and see if I get them.

[snapback]67032[/snapback]

Many thanks, m'dear.

I do apologize to all of you for all the SNAFUs.  Believe it or not, I did test this thing before setting it loose on you, but ADD and software testing are not a good...hey, anybody watch "The Major and the Minor" on TCM today?

retrokitten
useravatar
User Info

nope...didn't get a notification.

hehehe...boy I wish I got TCM!

Thanks for all the hard work you put into the forum. smile

TMBC
useravatar
User Info

OK, I just subscribed to this topic, let's see if it works for me!

retrokitten
useravatar
User Info

TMBC,Mar 20 2005, 11:12 PM wrote:

OK, I just subscribed to this topic, let's see if it works for me!

[snapback]67035[/snapback]

just posting so you can see if you get it. smile

TMBC
useravatar
User Info

..and I did!  It took about 3 minutes.

When you subscribed, did you select the "Immediate notification" option?

This dang thing has so many gizmos....

retrokitten
useravatar
User Info

TMBC,Mar 20 2005, 11:22 PM wrote:

..and I did!  It took about 3 minutes.

When you subscribed, did you select the "Immediate notification" option?

This dang thing has so many gizmos....

[snapback]67037[/snapback]

I just clicked the checkbox at the bottom of the page when you post a message.  When I didn't get anything I tried using the Track this Topic link but it said I was already subscribed.  Right now at the bottom of this page it says, "You are currently receiving email notification of replies."

Board Info

User Info:   Newest User :  DutFrurevense  
Online  There are no members online
Topic
New
Topic
New
Active
New/Active
Active
New/Active