Welcome to the new home of the Cafe. The Cafe has been serving retro goodness since 1999. If you were a previous member of the Atomic Magazine or the Port Halcyon Cafe Forums please click on "Forgot your password?" which is located in the left column to get a new password. Your old user name has been reserved for you. We look forward to talking with you!

Lost Soul
Red Under the Bed
useravatar
User Info

Shim Sham & Big Apple

Last Sunday we had an hour long lesson in the shim sham and the same for the the big apple. It was fun!

On the rare occasion I go for job interviews I list one of my many outstanding qualities as 'fast learner'. I now realise this to be an outright lie as I have the learning capacity of a small twig. At least where dancing is concerned.

I estimate a further 46 lessons to learn the shim sham. And the big apple? Somehow I can't see myself doing that in public unless under the influence of bourbon and crack cocaine. Frankly, I found it to be a little bit of a silly dance. Especially 'the scratch'.
Any other movers and groovers enjoy these dances?

Administrator has disabled public posting
lindydivaus
useravatar
User Info

Re: Shim Sham & Big Apple

I&#39;m not a big fan of "line dances", even when they&#39;re done in a circle. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

I&#39;ve learned the Shim Sham, used to know it well, and at this point I can kinda fake my way through, but give me lindy hop or balboa any day&#33;

The Bubbler
useravatar
User Info

Nope. Just because something is old, or because someone says it&#39;s &#39;cool&#39; doen&#39;t make it good IMHO.

I&#39;ve seen enough of this, and even participated in a lesson or two, but it left me cold.

I don&#39;t like Balboa either.

Lindy Hop and  Charleston are great dances, the rest can be consigned to the annals of history for my part.

Lost Soul
Red Under the Bed
useravatar
User Info

<!--quoteo(post=79178:date=Apr 6 2006, 07&#58;31 PM:name=The Bubbler)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Bubbler &#064; Apr 6 2006, 07&#58;31 PM) [snapback]79178[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Lindy Hop and  Charleston are great dances, the rest can be consigned to the annals of history for my part.

Wow, that&#39;s a bit of a sweeping statement&#33; Do you not like to Shag?

OK, the double entendre chortles should have subsided now. I think the shim sham looks really good when done well and I like the idea of a jazzy little line dance for when you fancy a bit of a move but have drunk a little too much to think about partner dancing.
I can&#39;t do Balboa but I think that&#39;s also a really neat looking dance that I hope to learn one day.
Come on Bubbler, aint it about time you got your dancing shoes on again?

The Bubbler
useravatar
User Info

<!--quoteo(post=79179:date=Apr 6 2006, 08&#58;45 PM:name=Lost Soul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lost Soul &#064; Apr 6 2006, 08&#58;45 PM) [snapback]79179[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Wow, that&#39;s a bit of a sweeping statement&#33; Do you not like to Shag?

Yes, but the position&#39;s ridiculous and the expense damnable.

<!--quoteo(post=79179:date=Apr 6 2006, 08&#58;45 PM:name=Lost Soul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lost Soul &#064; Apr 6 2006, 08&#58;45 PM) [snapback]79179[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Come on Bubbler, aint it about time you got your dancing shoes on again?
Well, perhaps. But I grew weary of entertaining someone else missus, and realised I was never likely to progress beyond basic 6-count moves without a regular dance partner.

Which left me with sore feet.

So be it.

Andy

Lost Soul
Red Under the Bed
useravatar
User Info

Hmm, excuses, excuses. Most chaps I see at dances have arrived on their own.

Mind you, I&#39;d be the same. I rarely dance with anyone else except Miss R. And that&#39;s the way I like it&#33;  [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

But anyway, we can still all shim sham&#33;

The Bubbler
useravatar
User Info

<!--quoteo(post=79181:date=Apr 6 2006, 09&#58;00 PM:name=Lost Soul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lost Soul &#064; Apr 6 2006, 09&#58;00 PM) [snapback]79181[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Hmm, excuses, excuses. Most chaps I see at dances have arrived on their own.

Mind you, I&#39;d be the same. I rarely dance with anyone else except Miss R. And that&#39;s the way I like it&#33;  [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

But anyway, we can still all shim sham&#33;

I &#39;hit the scene&#39; for a full two years, so I think I gave it a good shot. I&#39;m not one to give up on things easily, but I just wasn&#39;t getting out what I was putting in.

Learning dance moves for me is excruciatingly difficult, as I have two left feet- partly compensated by having two right hands.  [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

I have no problem with going places alone, I do it all the time- the price of having highly unusual interests and tastes. But wherever I have gone, I generally manage to get along with those I find there.

However, I never felt quite at home among the swing dance fraternity. Always felt it&#39;s a bit shallow- all fancy clothes, fancy moves and no personality. There are exceptions of course, but a handful of people does not a good scene make.

Perhaps it&#39;s me......... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Lindy Laura
Swingin' Kitten
useravatar
User Info

<!--quoteo(post=79183:date=Apr 6 2006, 09&#58;56 PM:name=The Bubbler)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Bubbler &#064; Apr 6 2006, 09&#58;56 PM) [snapback]79183[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
However, I never felt quite at home among the swing dance fraternity. Always felt it&#39;s a bit shallow- all fancy clothes, fancy moves and no personality. There are exceptions of course, but a handful of people does not a good scene make.

Perhaps it&#39;s me......... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

NO, IT ISN&#39;T JUST YOU. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

hi folks i&#39;m back after, ooh, a year or so? and i&#39;m fed up with the dance scene too. it IS shallow, it IS a parody of vintage living, and it DOES do my head in.

and I hate El nino too. (only brits will understand that one) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

x

Dr. Swankenstein
useravatar
User Info

Welcome back LL&#33;  I hope by your making an appearance here you&#39;re not mad at us as well.  We like ya&#39;.

I think a "swing" scene is kind of silly anyway.  I&#39;ve always been a bit pragmatic about such things and know you can never go back, your best hope is to bring a little of the best of the past along with ya&#39;.  Mind, I dig nice clothes, would very much like a chance to have a nice evening with a lovely companion which included dancing and maybe some dining.  And if I just had to put up with some shallowness to get it, eh, I guess I would.  But I&#39;m with you LL if you&#39;re talking about the snooty uppity-ness I&#39;ve seen on display a couple of times in the past.  I want to feel at least as welcome with other strange fish as I would around "normal" folks.

Down with El Nino, durn thing causes hurricanes as well as unseasonably hot weather.

Lindy Laura
Swingin' Kitten
useravatar
User Info

haha well exactly&#33; except this el nino has turned the whole &#39;retro&#39; scene into somebody wearing a waistcoat with no shirt, a woman&#39;s scarf, and a tiny, toy-sized top-hat. I hope you&#39;ll agree, that&#39;s not a good look [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

I&#39;m not mad at anybody on here at all, I just got overloaded with things I was doing, and lost touch with what was going on here. I figured it would be too much like hard work to get involved again- but nevertheless, I&#39;ll stick my oar in when I feel it is necessary  [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

http://www.swingdanceuk.com/main/LLHF/images/elnino2%20copy.gif <not the best picture, and I&#39;ll admit he is wearing a normal sized top-hat, but still...  [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]

Dr. Swankenstein
useravatar
User Info

OOOHHHhhhhh&#33;  I think that look quite makes hurricanes look good&#33;  We&#39;re moving kinda slow around here at the moment, so probably not much work keeping up.  Always a pleasure, whenever you show up, know you&#39;ve got friends here.

Lost Soul
Red Under the Bed
useravatar
User Info

We accidentally did another Big Apple class and were were absolutely hopeless. Never again.

Quite enjoying the Charleston Stroll every time I get drunk though.

Board Info

User Info:   Newest User :  DutFrurevense  
Online  There are no members online
Topic
New
Topic
New
Active
New/Active
Active
New/Active