Welcome to the new home of the Cafe. The Cafe has been serving retro goodness since 1999. If you were a previous member of the Atomic Magazine or the Port Halcyon Cafe Forums please click on "Forgot your password?" which is located in the left column to get a new password. Your old user name has been reserved for you. We look forward to talking with you!

Poll

How do you feel about "hoodies"?

I wear them and love them. They are cool AND functional
16% - 1
I wear them only when i need to but they are ugly
16% - 1
I never wear them, just not my style.
16% - 1
I never wear them. They are horrible.
50% - 3

Total : 6

Poll created on: 2009-11-02 22:15:36

SORTEGA76
Port Halcyon Veteran
useravatar
User Info

Hoodies? Love them or hate them?

Few pieces of clothing are as ubiquitous as the hooded sweatshirt. From offering workmen protection from the elements to elaborate designer offerings, the options are endless. With our retro leanings, how do we feel about them? A guilty pleasure? A source of ire? What is your take?

"All of us are lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
--Oscar Wilde

Administrator has disabled public posting
Lost Soul
Red Under the Bed
useravatar
User Info

Re: Hoodies? Love them or hate them?

They repulse me.
If you're cold, wear a sweater.
If your head is cold, wear a hat.
If you fear the rain, buy a brolly.

If you work on a building site then feel free to wear one but don't pretend they're a stylish item of apparel.

lucky66
AtomicHalcyonSocial Veteren
useravatar
User Info

Agreed.  I think one should wear what one wants, but I have to say this item belongs in the realm of exercise wear, and is almost always a poorer choice than a sweater or jacket.  This is a battle I have with my almost teenager son.

SORTEGA76
Port Halcyon Veteran
useravatar
User Info

My take? I will admit that I wear them alot, but not with a suit or office clothes. A hoodie, jeans and a mechanic's jacket is pretty standard wear for me on my day off.

--Oscar Wilde

Lost Soul
Red Under the Bed
useravatar
User Info

Well, I wont pretend to be a dapper dandy when I'm out shopping as I, too, will invariably be attired in jeans, chucks and work jacket but a hoodie is a step too far for me.
If twinned with sweatpants you are, to my mind, a petty thief, alcoholic, or some other such anti-social shadow-dweller.
In fact, I regard the wearing of sweatpants (or jogging bottoms as we seem to call them) as a far worse crime than hoodies that should be punishable by penal servitude of the the most miserable order- especially when the miscreant has been seen to be tugging on his private parts as they so often do. As the old saying goes; if you can't do the penal don't touch the penile. Or something.

SORTEGA76
Port Halcyon Veteran
useravatar
User Info

I agree, LS. I own ONE pair of sweat pants and they are used for pajamas on REALLY cold nights. Never to be worn out. I was curious what others felt about hoodies after chatting with a retro-pal and his ire at my wearing one to a bar for beer and wings.

--Oscar Wilde

Miss KK
useravatar
User Info

Well, I am an anti-social shadow-dweller :p but you won't see me in sweats in public. I have a few hoodies, yes, but they're for throwing on in the house when it's cold, usually paired with jeans or lounging  pants. Also they are specifically themed and I bought them because of the designs on them- Nightmare Before Christmas, or the like. Once they're faded, I prefer not to wear them anymore. Truthfully, I look a bit young for my age, and hoodies only lend to making me look like a juvenile delinquent. Maybe that's a look some are going for (and hey I've seen it work for some), but I'd rather put on a jacket with clean lines, even if it's just denim, to go to the store.

SusieQT
useravatar
User Info

I only wear hoodies or sweatpants for exercising or sleeping.  I wore my share of hoodies back in the early 90s when they were popular with the grunge look and I think that about sums up what they're good for.

I fail to see the attraction of these things with the younger set- I always see kids shivering in them at the bus stop and wonder why they don't wear a coat. Probably because the hood bunched up in the back makes you look like a hunchback if you wear a jacket over top.

Even the folks I know that work outdoors on job sites prefer classic Carhartt bibs and workmen jackets.

KitschCakeShane
useravatar
User Info

In the last year and a half I think I have worn a hoodie twice or three times(all were when I wan rebeling against my vintage clothes for one reason or another) the only nice part to them is the hood. I havent found the perfect hat yet so my ears are always cold. But I mostly wear a nice cardigan. And Now Im working on knitting a sweater from a 1950s pattern.
Don't get ym started on sweat pants. If I can wake up before school and pull on a pair of jeans or trousers so can you. My hatered of sweatpants is almost that of my hatred of Ugg boots. They make me want to massacre babies so they can be spaired a life in a world where bad style runs rampant.

Lost Soul
Red Under the Bed
useravatar
User Info

I agree that sweatpants and Ugg boots must be banished to the wardrobe of oblivion for eternity but they do come in handy as an instant 'friend-filter' and also as a staggeringly accurate gauge of intelligence (ie. none).
As far as your cold ears go, you still have no excuse; you could either wear a deerstalker (or 'headcoat' to those in the garage punk fraternity) or a nice Elmer Fudd style hunting cap (Filson make a nice one.

SORTEGA76
Port Halcyon Veteran
useravatar
User Info

There are plenty of driver's caps and the like with hidden ear flaps. For outside work in extreme cold, I like the simple military watch cap.

--Oscar Wilde

KitschCakeShane
useravatar
User Info

A deerstalker does look nice. SO does a nice hunting like hat. I actually have a vintage one that is rabbit lined. But I don't use it because I don't want my pomade to ruin the inside and also ruin my hair if I don't have a comb on me.

Like I said I haven't found the right hat yet. I'll just have to have cold ears this winter seeing as I just bought myself a 1940s 49er style wool coat to wear, so no hood with that.

Lost Soul
Red Under the Bed
useravatar
User Info

I'm not even sure why we're discussing hoodies on here. Surely they're anathema: no hoodies, no sweatpants, no Ugg boots, no fake tan, etc.

SORTEGA76
Port Halcyon Veteran
useravatar
User Info

Lost Soul wrote:

I'm not even sure why we're discussing hoodies on here. Surely they're anathema: no hoodies, no sweatpants, no Ugg boots, no fake tan, etc.
I guess it qualifies as "blasting modern fashion" and few things are as common in fashion as the hoodie.

--Oscar Wilde

SusieQT
useravatar
User Info

Lost Soul wrote:

a nice Elmer Fudd style hunting cap (Filson makes a nice one).
I bought that Filson cap for my son this Christmas.  The earflaps are mouton- really nice and warm and the quality can't be beat- it's a $50 cap for a reason. I saw a similar style at the Gap, but without the quality (duh) so it's even trendy at the moment. He's almost 5, so I expect it will last him a lifetime, so long as he doesn't lose it or fall victim to some teenage fashion fad later on...

Board Info

User Info:   Newest User :  DutFrurevense  
Online  There are no members online
Topic
New
Topic
New
Active
New/Active
Active
New/Active